Submissions for July, 2007 edition of The Shit Creek Review+II
The Shit Creek Review
Submissions for the July Issue of The Shit Creek Review+II may be sent now.
There is no set theme for poems submitted to the July issue of The Shit Creek Review – send in your best 1- 5 poems on whatever you like. But read the General Submission Guidelines first (below).
Poetry- or Art-related prose is also welcome: reviews, close reads, essays, musings, reminiscences or hot gossip. If you’re not sure about whether it will fit, send it in anyway and we’ll let you know.
Artists can send image submissions to the Art Editor Don Zirilli (details below).
The theme for poems for the July issue of II is "Lives".
What the blue blazes does that mean? You tell us. Send us poems that can somehow relate to the notion of biography: lives of people or other entities, life-cycles, secret histories, notes from under the floorboards, case notes, memoirs, what have you – seen from any normal or altered state of consciousness you can devise.
Submissions for The Shit Creek Review+II July Edition must be received by Monday, May 21st, 2007.
Visual arts Submissions:
General Submission Guidelines
- The Shit Creek Review+II will publish quarterly in January, April, July, and October, and seeks to present high-quality original work in the fields of poetry, art, and prose criticism, as well as in other creative or analytic areas.
- Submission deadline dates and themes (if any) for the next issue will be specified in each current issue, but you may submit work at any time. If your submission is too late for the deadline date for one issue it will be placed in the batch for the next.
- In poetry, we are biased towards formalism, but by no means dismissive of vers libre. We are looking for original work which deals with a wide variety of issues and imagery, including that which might test or challenge boundaries, or disturb sensibilities. But it must be well executed. Please do not send us work which has not been extensively drafted and polished. We definitely do not seek poems about toilet issues. People who submit such poems have misunderstood the overarching ethos of Shit Creek.
- Previous publication is not a problem as long as the previous publisher does not hold copyright. You must inform us of any previous publication when you submit. Posting to blogs or online workshops is not in our opinion publishing, so any such poems or other pieces are clearly eligible. But the person who submits work must be the original author. We reserve the right to archive your work as part of this site, and with your specific consent to publish it in a print anthology later; but all other rights remain with the author.
- We accept simultaneous submissions, but please inform us immediately if the submission is accepted elsewhere.
- Poets should submit 1 - 5 poems. Contributions should be sent in the body of an email, or as .doc file attachments if necessary to preserve formatting: text contributions, whether poetry or prose, should be single-spaced. Please include the word “Submission” in the subject line of your email.
- Visual arts contributions should be as .jpeg files and may be sent as attachments. Image submissions should be original work or cite relevant permissions from copyright owners.
- All contributors should include brief third person biographical details of up to five lines.
- We will attempt to acknowledge receipt of all submissions within two weeks of arrival.
- Payment for publication in The Shit Creek Review is not possible in this life, but contributors will be rewarded in the next. On the other hand the editors are very receptive to offers (redeemable in this life) of cash bribes, vouchers, favours, and so forth.